Thursday, September 4, 2008

Abundantly clear

We all know what happened right about this time last year to our family. (click here if you haven't got a clue what I'm talking about) Yes, I am talking about the lay-off.
NO, HEATH DID NOT GET LAID OFF AGAIN!!! No worries there!
Here's where I'm getting at.
It is always refreshing for me to hear/read about someone else's blessings and the way God has so obviously worked and made Himself apparent in their lives. I just thought I would share a few blessings that have taken place in the Brown house the past two days. I am not good at wording/writing (and you better believe I have typed. erased. typed. erased. Trying to get the perfect wording.) so bare with me!
Last year when Heath was laid off, we were so devastated. Really, that word doesn't even begin to describe the thoughts/feelings/emptiness we felt that day. I actually don't think there is an appropriate word to describe the feelings. Since Heath is our sole provider everything rides on his job and when one minute it's there and the next it's gone, there is no feeling like it.
What do you do in such a desperate time like that? I'll tell you what we did...our knees hit the ground and prayers went up as fast as they could. The blessings that were showered down upon us was nothing short of miraculous. God made Himself very present then, just as He is now.
You see, as an hourly wage maker, every minute he is, or is not, at his job, counts. So here goes... as you know, Friday my wonderful husband took off work to take me to see the beautiful Martina McBride .
First day of work missed.
Monday was a paid holiday (thank you God). Insert bad weather from the lovely hurricane Gustav. You may be wondering to yourself...how could that possibly affect an electrician? Good question and I asked that myself.
He worked Tuesday and the boss told them that they are probably not going to get to work Wednesday because of all the rain, but wasn't quite sure yet. If they wanted to come in the office the next morning to check and see if there just happened to be something, they could. Of course, Heath did. He was sent home...nothing to do that day. You see when all the jobs they have going on require dry days to work, it makes sense that they are sent home.
Second day of work missed.
So, two days of work missed on a pay check. Ouch.
Here is where God has made Himself completely apparent. I started working at the preschool this week. Makes up for almost half of a day missed. Heath had a side job scheduled for today but called and asked if he could come yesterday (the day he missed work), so of course they said yes. And there you have it, both days from the paycheck missing...completely made up for! (and then some actually) Today was another day that they were not sure there was going to be work, but once again, God provided. Heath showed up and sure enough they sent him on a job that someone else had been working on that had screwed things up and Heath went to fix it. He worked all day! THEN, as if God hadn't already provided enough for us, Heath got a phone call after work, for an emergency fixing of some wires that needed to be done right away. He was already out and his schedule was wide open for tonight. Now that is just "extra" (not really extra when it's already got places to go!) in our pockets! The Lord is so good!
I don't want to offend anyone and please know that is not my intentions, but I just can't comprehend how anyone can think things like that just "happen". God is truly our Provider and we have learned over numerous occasions to lean on him and trust in our times of need.
For the sake of all of you who are still reading, I will stop now before this pretty much turns into a short novel! I tend to be a little long winded when I get on a subject that is close to my heart. Thank you for "listening" to me ramble but I just had to share the way that God is working in our lives right now.
On a side note~
I have to share this. Just one of the many reasons why I love my precious child.
I was cooking dinner tonight and the sweet angel came up to me, out of nowhere, squeezed and kissed my leg, looked up at me and said,"I love you Mommy. Is there anything I can do for you?" I am not joking people! It's just like God whispered in his little ear, at that moment when I needed it the most,"Go Love your Mommy."
Tear. sniff. sniff...
I pray that his heart is always this soft and sweet. Especially when he gets married. I know that if he is anything like his Daddy (which he is pretty much his spitting image, as you can so obviously tell) then his wife will be the luckiest lady ever!
Not bragging, just sharing. (ok maybe a little! :))

6 comments:

Piker Family said...

Thanks for the reminder that God is always in control. Isn't He so good to us, even when we fail Him over and over again? I honestly teared up when reading this blog. I hope that God continues to bless your beautiful family. Take Care!

Rachel said...

God is so good!! We need the reminder so often and there is nothing better than that feeling!! I am so glad to hear that yall are doing well...I was going to kill you if you were not going to come tonight =)!! Love you guys!!

Sterling is the sweetest!!

Anonymous said...

It looks like you have MANY reasons to brag/share about your blessings, and that's a good thing! Thank goodness for the fortune at his work and more importantly for that sweet adorable boy!!!
The picture at the top of your blog literally makes me grin ear to ear every time I read. :)

Brown Family fun said...

I remember last year and everything that was going on. I saw the two of you so strong and faithful...an encouragement for me! God is amazing and all powerful even when we are not looking. I am glad to hear how he is providing for you again and I know he will continue to do so.

We miss you guys so much. Its very hard not having neighbors that we can sit and talk to and just be. You are amazing friends.

Anonymous said...

HE is so amazing, is he not? God is good all the time! What an encouraging story!!

It took a ton of scrubbing and febreeze, but the stench is gone!! woo hoo!!

Anonymous said...

Lane your love for God and your loving spirit is exactly what I prayed for all those years as Heath was growing up. We are blessed that you are our daughterinlaw. Never let go of your wonderful faith - it will carry you through life much happier.