Wednesday, October 8, 2008

3 yr old + 3 month old chihuahua= 2 hr vet visit

***Caution: If you are sensitive to puppies this might cause a little quiver in your lip and water in the eyes.***
Oh boy, where do I even begin!?!
Well, I took these pictures this evening in hopes of doing a post on our little "house guest" that we've had and how much fun Sterling has had with her so far. Well, here is little miss Sweet Pea, my mom's chihuahua that we are doggie sitting for a week. Enjoy the sweet pictures. (while they last!)
Look how cute she is! Can you say teeny-tiny!
Here comes the reason for this post. Get ready for it.
Yeah, so after I took these pictures I went back to the computer to download them, as I hear Sterling coming down the hallway, he gets to the doorway of the room I am in, and I hear it.
What is "it" you may ask?
The screaming pain of a 3 month, 3lb chihuahua. And when I say screaming, that really could be an understatement. Sterling had been carrying her back there (which he had NEVER done before. I think it's because right before we were having him hold her for the pics) and she fell out of his arms as he went to put her down. So, she didn't even fall very far, but she instantly put her leg up and would. not. stop. screaming. It was AWFUL!!! I immediately picked her up and didn't touch it. I thought her hip was just probably out of place since she fell probably a whole 6 inches...literally.
I couldn't even move the dog without her screaming. We didn't know what to do after about 3 min, so we called my mom. She said to take her to the vet.

PLEASE excuse the nastiness, I just got back from working out...yeah, great timing I know! See how she is baby-ing that back, right leg?

So, off we go at 6:30 to the vet thinking "all they are going to do is pop it back into place and we'll be good to go and we'll make out of there for hopefully under 500 bucks". HAHAHAHAHA

This is what happens when you are in a vets office for 2 hrs!

Are you ready for this!?!?!

Just in case you can't see it here's another one for ya: Can ya see it?!?

Yep folks, it is a BROKEN LEG!!!! Broke all the way through at an angle. Thankfully it only went through the big bone (can't remember if it's the tibia or fibia, whichever is the big one) but not the small. She said if it would have gone through the small one it would have been orthopedic surgery. Could you imagine!!??!

What dog gets a broken leg from falling about 6 inches. Apparently Sweet Pea does. NO WONDER she was screaming like she was. I felt so bad I wanted to cry. But if you think I felt bad, you should have seen Sterling. He knew he did it and he felt SO bad the whole night. Especially when she would scream. He even went and got his special blanket that he has to have out of his bed for her. He said,"Here mommy give this to Sweet Pea. It will make her feel better. I will make a bed for her with it." So sweet.

I just had to put this whole x-ray on there. Look how funny it looks!!
Look how sad this is...

She ended up having to knock her out to set the splint. How awful is this! But surprisingly we made out of there for only $200 (and I say "only" because we thought it was going to be about $500!) but she has to go back in a week to get it checked on. The reason we thought it was going to be so much is because we thought it was the vet ER, but it was just regular office hours (they stay open til 8!!) so it wasn't emergency pay! Sheesh!

This thing is bigger than she is!! Don't ask me how we are going to get her to potty now! Oh I know!! Every time she goes out we have to wrap it with press-n-seal wrap, give her baby food since she won't eat, so that she can take her pain medicine, (which we have to make 1/8 of the pill, pretty much some powder) oh and make sure she doesn't chew on it, hold her most of the time, and check for swelling at all times.

Woo hoo, this should be a fun 3 more days! Saturday won't get here quick enough!

7 comments:

Rachel said...

How sad!!! Poor Sterling!! That is why we have big fat dogs - Owen would have crushed a chihuahua by now =)! She is soooo cute and I wanted to cry seeing her in that cast!! Is your Mom going nuts??!!

Brown Four...Never a Dull Moment said...

What a wild story! I can't believe the dog had to get a cast! Six inches doesn't seem like a big fall. Oh Well, I'm glad she is doing better now! Poor Sterling!

amy (metz) walker said...

Oh my gosh...how awful for both Sterling and the puppy. On a bright note, how CUTE is that cast?! Is this sick of me to say?

Marty Rhea Hill said...

Lane, That is the most precious dog and I don't even like pets. That cast is so cute. I love the heart. Good luck with the next few days.

Kristy said...

As terrible as that must have been, and as sorry as I am that it happened to you and to poor Sterling, I cracked up at the sight of that cast. It is HUGE!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

Oh my gosh Lane! I'm so sorry, $200 does not seem bad at all though! The third picture is the best, super cute, I laughed out loud! Hope Sterling and the puppy feel better soon, and that Sat gets here for you before you know it! left you something on my blog!

Tara Gibson said...

awwwwwwwww : ( how sad for sterling and the puppy.. The cast is cute.. gosh that seems demented